2018 WRBA awards
WRBA 2018 Competitive Awards
- Cl 4-0, 25 Any size. Enamels assorted. With thanks to all the dealers who bring us such beautiful buttons! $15-10-5 L. Renée Comeau
- Cl 6-5.3.2, Various. Riveted/Soldered. All black. No points for OME or DF. Focus on shapes and numbers of black glass pieces, and the designs created by the pieces. $5-3-2 Joy Journeay
- Cl 6-6.7, Large. Black glass lacy/lacy-like surface designs. $10-7-3 Ronnie Wexler
- Cl 7-7.3, 30 Any size. Clear and colored glass in imitation of fabric. $10-7-3 Ronnie Wexler
- Cl 7-7.9, Various. Victorian glass of various colors, techniques, pictorials, and decorative finishes. $10-7-3 Carolyn Boes
- Cl 10-8 Various. Brass with cut steel embellishment. No other OME or DF. Specialized to pictorials. $15-10-5. Santa Clara Valley Button Club
- Cl 11-0 Med/Lg. Shell assorted specialized to pictorials. In honor of Tom & Barb Barrans. $15-10-5 L. Renée Comeau.
- Cl 21-9, Med/Lg. Pictorial Summary specialized to twelve medium from Sections 17 & 18 and twelve large from Sections 19 & 20. $15-10-5 Tom Barrans
- Cl 24-0, Various. 18th Century. $15-10-5 L. Renée Comeau
- Cl 1-5.2 + 2-2.2, 25 Any size. Police departments, domestic and foreign. Label city and country if not obvious. $5-3-2 Stacey Gehrman
- Cl 2-4, 25 Any size. Military armed forces assorted. Label country. $5-3-2 Stacey Gehrman
- Cl 23-3.2, 30 Any size. Riveted shank buttons (RSB) with a variety of decorative finishes, OME’s, pictorials, patterns, materials/metals, as well as pierced & multiple metals. $8-4-3 Carolyn Boes
13 Cl 23-6.2, 25 Any size. Bimini buttons to include one or more ceramic. Label backmarks & anything interesting. $15-10-5 Ronnie Wexler
- Cls 1-0 thru 9-1, 25 Any size. (Sections 1-0 through 9-1) Best assortment of all classes, with at least 1 class included from each Related Specialties section. Include the four pictorial sections. Labeling appreciated. $8-5-2 Judy Schwenk.
- Cl 2-0, Six Buckles specialized to mammals. $15-10-5 Ronnie Wexler
- Cls 1-0 through 15-5, Small. Specialized to words beginning with letters that spell out “Sure do love Western Regional Button Association!” Label each letter as to what it represents. May be a pictorial or any button term, material or technique; e.g., turn-around (a pattern), overlay (a technique) or gourd (a material). Material variety to count equally with word representation. $5-3-2 Julie Reifel
- Cl 1-0 through 15-5, 25 Any size. Materials assorted specialized to sinful pleasures: must label intent. No overloading, label studio buttons. $15-10-5 Portland Button Club
- Cl 1-0 through 15-5, Various. Assorted Materials specialized to those made primarily of natural “animal based” materials, e.g. horn, ivory, bone, shell, silk, leather, etc. Also appropriate are materials that may have animals embedded or mounted in a non-natural material base, e.g., an embedded seahorse in a synthetic polymer button, a scarab mounted on metal or an 18th century bug under glass. Label as to material. $5-3-2 Linda Wiener
- Cl 6-6.3, 25 Any size. IMITATING FABRIC, NEEDLEWORK, TEXTILE. Label the fabric or needlework technique. In honor of Dorothy Krugner. $5-3-2 Joy Journeay
- Cl 7-0,Diminutive. CLEAR/COLORED GLASS. $5-3-2 Joy Journeay
- Cl 8-0, Small. GLASS IN/ON METAL. $5-3-2 Joy Journeay
- Cl 10-3, 25 Any size. Pewter assorted. Try for a wide variety of types including: rimmed, faced, bright cut, hard white, soft cast, etc. Use a variety of construction and decorative finishes and take care to use only pewter and not white metal. Go above and beyond the three classes listed in the NBS Blue Book, page 16. Refer to the A-Z Encyclopedia of Button Materials pages 100-101 and the BBB pages 358-373 (Second volume edition). $12-5-3 Historical Button Club in Honor of Anne Geaudreau.
- Cl 16-4, Small. Material Summary. Limit one studio. In honor of Jocelyn Howells who keeps on teaching! $5-3-2 Joy Journeay
- Cl 17-0 through 20-0 + 22-2, Various. Asian people and other subject matter specialized to “Oriental,” including animals, plants, objects and symbols. $12-8-5 L. Renée Comeau
- Cls 17-2 + 18-0 + 20-0, 24 Any size. Things found in the sky specialized to wonders of the sky: celestial, birds, planes, etc. Represent all three sections. Division II allowed. No need to mount in order. $5-3-2 Washington State Button Society
- Cl 17-2.4, 25 Any size. Birds specialized to long-legged species; no ducks, penguins, etc. Variety of birds is the focus and worth 4 points each. Materials worth 1 point each. Division II is allowed. Maximum of 3 points per tray for OME. $5-3-2 Judy Schwenk
- Cl 17-3, 25 Any size. Fish. $10-7-3 Ronnie Wexler
- Cl 17-5, 25 Any size. Mammals assorted, specialized to ungulates. Look for those which gambol, play and frolic, but button does not have to indicate activity. No limit on realistics. Pictorial and material aspects to have equal value. $10-7-3 Peggy Lee Mathes
- Cl 17-5.4, 25 Any size. Domestic dogs. Focus is on different breeds. No limit on studio buttons. Extra point for a shihtzu dog button. In memory of Tammy. $5-3-2 Narcie Alexander.
- Cl 17-5.5L, 25 Any size. Elephants. Limited to those who have never received a ribbon (National, Regional or State) in this classification. Materials to count equally with pictorial aspects. Limit of five studio buttons and 3 points per tray for OME. $5-3-2 Julie Reifel
- Cl 18-0, 25 Any size. Objects assorted. Limit 2 points for rarities. $8-4-3 Carolyn Boes
- Cl 18-0 + 20-18, 25 Any size. Objects assorted and people, both specialized to paid occupations and/or the tools of their trade. Division II allowed. Label occupation and tools, i.e., blacksmith, anvil. Limit 3 OME points per tray. $8-4-3 Judy Schwenk
- Cl 18-1 + 20-22.1.1, Med/Lrg. 10 Anchors and 10 Ships/Boats. Try for different types of ships/boats. $10-7-3. L. Renée Comeau.
- Cl 20-1. 25 Any size. Architectural structures limited to identifiable structures. Label structure & location. $15-10-5 Marion Nebiker
- Cl 20-2, 25 Any size. Astronomical specialized to sun or moon alone or with other pictorials. Sun or moon do not have to be dominant but must be visible. Look for sun or moon with other pictorial sections. $50-35-15 Mary Beers and Harriett Brittenham
- Cl. 20-2 + 22-1.6.1, 25 Any size. “Here Comes the Sun.” Astronomical specialized to buttons picturing the sun and multi-armed patterns specialized to the solar design (not the same as a star; no points). See page 60 in the Appendix of the Blue Book for definition of solar design. No balance necessary. Sun does not need to be the focus but must be clearly visible to the judges. Limited of two studio buttons. $15-10-5. Santa Clara Valley Button Club
- Cl. 20-10, 25 Any size. Theater and opera specialized to metal buttons. All OMEs must be metal. DF allowed. $5-3-2 Sonja Medcalf
- Cl 20-22.1.1, 20 Any size. Ships/boats, to include canoes, rafts, etc. $10-7-3 Ronnie Wexler
- Cl 22-1.3.2, Various. Triangles and modified triangles (may have slightly rounded sides and/or points). Refer to the Blue Book, page 59. Remember that patterns may not have pictorial elements. $5-3-2 Linda Wiener
- Cl 22-2, 25 Any size. Symbols assorted specialized to those representing good luck, happiness and/or harmony. No need to represent each Symbols subclass. Label each button as to the symbol that it represents. BOD will be applied, as symbols vary widely from culture to culture and through time. Limited to two studio buttons (also labeled). Labeling materials is helpful, but not required. $15-10-5 Santa Clara Valley Button Club
- Cl 23-1, Small. Backgrounds assorted. $5-3-2 Joy Journeay
- Cl 23-4, 25 Any size. Borders assorted. See March 2015, pg. 19 in National Button Bulletin. $10-6-4 Arizona State Button Society
- Cl. 23-4.1, 25 Any size. Border designs assorted. ABC Button Club $20-15-10 See March 2015, pg. 19 in National Button Bulletin.
- Cl 23-4.1.3, 25 Any size. Pictorial border designs, including integrated. Include all 4 sections. Div II allowed. Maximum of 3 points per tray for OME Judy Schwenk $8-4-3
- Cl. 23-8, 14 pairs. Matching pairs of buttons, identical except in size. L. Renée Comeau $15-10-5.
- Cl 23-9, Small. Materials in/on metal. $5-3-2 Joy Journeay
- Cl 23-10.1, Small. Contours, specialized to vegetable ivory whistles, each button a different contour. Extra point per button shape for additional linear shape qualification (square, rectangle, diamond, trapezoid, etc.). No OME. $5-3-2 Joy Journeay
- Cl 25-18.104.22.168 + 25-5.1.1, 25 Any size. Multiple crests, including multiples in Coats of Arms. Label unusual details (special coronets or mottos are an extra point). $5-3-2 Stacey Gehrman
- Cl 25-6.1.1, 30 Any size. RSBs specialized to a minimum of 20 that are pictorial and 10 more that are shapes and/or pierced on the face (the entire button need not be pierced). Two points for each different (labeled) verbal or pictorial backmark. $5-3-2 Narcie Alexander
- Cl 25-9, 30 Medium. Sporting specialized to animals. Different animals from same set are allowed. Label specific animal, i.e., pheasant, duck, elk, moose, hound, setter, etc. Maximum of 3 points per tray for OME. $10-3-2 Judy Schwenk